School History

80/p342226045_577.jpg
China School History
  • China Elementary School serves as a reminder of the dedication of the citizens of this area and the ideals of public education. Earliest records show that the first school in China was a long, shot-gun type building, constructed around the turn of the century and enlarged in 1910. China School was a common school district until 1920 when China Independent School District was created by an act of the legislature. At that time, a bond issue was approved by voters in the China Independent School District which enabled the district to build a large, two-story brick and concrete structure run by a staff which included a superintendent, a principal, and six teachers.
  • In the summer of 1960, the district of China, Nome, and Sour Lake consolidated to form the Hardin-Jefferson Independent School District. The bond issue passed and a building that would house grades 1-8 was built. It included a cafeteria, clinic, teachers lounge, and offices.
  • In 1971, a new wing was built that added 5 classrooms and an office area.
  • In the summer of 1974, a court divided the district's schools according to grades resulting in the following distribution: China Elementary: K-3,  Sour Lake Elementary:  K-3 and District wide 4-6,  Henderson Middle School: District wide 7-8,  HJ High School: 9-12. 
  • In June of 1980, two portable classrooms were added for kindergarten classes. In June of 1982, two more portable classrooms were added to house 2 more kindergarten classes. In June of 1985, work begun on 2 classrooms to house Pre-K and EC classes. 
  • On December, 12, 1989 , ground was broken at China Elementary to begin construction on a new kitchen/cafeteria and 2 computer labs, along with renovation that would result in a new library, classroom, and teacher's workroom. This project was completed 20 months later on August 31, l991. The Grover Die annex was dedicated on October 3, 1991.
  • In 1992, a portable building was added to house the PE classes. The principal's office was renovated. The area became three offices and a conference room. During the summer of 1996, the reception area was expanded.
  • In August, 1996, a bond election was passed. There were additions and renovations to each campus in the district including moving 6th grade to the Henderson Campus. At CE, 8 classrooms were built to house Early Adventures, Kindergarten, a Writing To Read Computer Lab and a Resource Learning Lab.
  • In 2000, another bond issue was passed, and electrical upgrades were made on this campus.
  • In January, 2010, staff and students moved into the new campus located at 605 Henderson Ave.